A | A | A
Norway’s official websites abroad
Photo: Guri Dahl/ tinagent.com.Photo: Guri Dahl/ tinagent.com

Study in Norway

If you wish to study in Norway for longer than three months you must apply for a residence permit for students. You do not need a residence permit if you intend to stay in Norway for less than three months, but you must apply for a visa if you come from a country with a visa requirement for entering Norway, such as Thailand.

How to apply?
Applications for a residence permits must as a general rule be submitted in person at the Norwegian foreign service station where you are a citizen. If you reside in another country other than where you are a citizen, you must in general have had a work or residence permit in this country for the past six months before you submit the application.

All applications for residence and work in Norway will be forwarded by the Embassy to the Directorate of Immigration (UDI) in Norway for consideration. 

Applications for work permits may now be registered online on the Application Portal. Simply fill out the application category 'Studies', pay the fee with a credit/debit card and book an appointment for when the applicant would like to submit his/her passport and supporting documents at the Norwegian Visa Application Centre.The application is formally registered on the date you submit your passport with relevant supporting documentation. We will the process your application. You may nominate a person in Norway to register an application on your behalf. However, you are responsible for the application and have to hand in the supporting documentation yourself.

For more information about how to register your application online, please click here.

Once the case has been sent to UDI in Norway, the Embassy has no further bearing on the case. The processing time depends on the work load at UDI at any time, but you can find an average expected processing time for the various types of permits on UDI’s Web site: Please click here.

University or College
As a rule, in order to be granted a study permit, you must have been admitted to a field of study at an officially recognised educational institution at college or university level. The course must be full-time and entitle the applicant to full support from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund. This requirement applies even though you are planning to finance your stay in another way than through a loan from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund.

Upper Secondary School
As a general rule, residence permits are not granted for attending upper secondary schools. Exceptions may be made in the following cases:

Exchange students
In connection with international student exchange programmes organised by Norwegian county municipalities or non-profit organisations, you may be granted a study permit. You must submit documentation of a cooperation or friendship agreement forming the basis of the exchange.

Students at international programmes /schools
Study permit may be granted to students at the Red Cross Nordic United World College, Skagerak International School and other schools offering an IB study programme (IB = International Baccalaureate)

Students with specific skills
If the Norwegian school bases the admission of students on specific abilities/skills, and you have been admitted pursuant to this requirement, you may be granted a study permit. The admission is not based on purely theoretical knowledge. The following three schools are included in this arrangement:
- Norges Toppidrettsgymnas (NTG) (Norwegian upper secondary school for top-level sports)
- Barratt Dues Musikkinstitutt (Barratt Due’s Institute of Music
- Bårdarakademiet (Bådar Dance Academy)

Folk High School or Denominational College 
You may be granted a residence permit as a student if you have been admitted to an approved folk high school or denominational college. As a rule, the general conditions for a student permit also apply to this type of education. There are, however, some major exceptions:

The requirement for financial maintenance (subsistence) for folk high school students is NOK 66,200 for the academic year 2010–2011. This comes in addition to any tuition fees. The subsistence requirement for students at denominational colleges is funds corresponding to full support from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund. For the academic year 2010–2011, this is NOK 89,000.

When submitting your application, you must enclose documentation that your tuition fees have been paid. 

The permit is usually granted from no more than two weeks before the start of tuition until the end of the academic year. 

The permit does not form the basis for family immigration. 

The permit cannot be renewed.

If you intend to apply for a resident permit as a student, please use this checklist: ENGLISH version

For more information about student permits, please click here.